Waldemar W. Koczkodaj, Professor
935 Ramsey Lk Rd
Sudbury, Ontario P3E 2C6
wkoczkodaj [at] cs laurentian ca (most preferable contact; always acknowledged)
fax 705/673-6591, tel. 705/675-1151 x.2311
or locate me by google Canada Koczkodaj
- knowledge-based systems (based on consistency-driven pairwise comparisons, CDPC introduced in 1993, a theory for processing subjectivity),
- decision and expert systems,
- medical assessments,
- medical informatics, medical decision support systems,
- the human aspects of IT,
- human-computer interaction,
- data mining and data engineering,
- systems analysis and software engineering,
- projects involving multi-criteria evaluation pairwise comparisons.
The Mathematics Genealogy Project sequence includes the following advisors: Wiktor Marek (1968), Andrzej Mostowski (1938), Alfred Tarski (1924), Kazimierz Kuratowski (1938), Wacław Sierpi�ski (1913), Stanislaw Lesniewski (1912), �mile Borel (1902), Andrei Markov (1897), Pafnuty Chebyshev (1884), Simeon Poisson (1814), Leonhard Euler (?) , Joseph Lagrange(?), Johann Bernoulli (1726), Gottfried Leibniz (1684), Erhard Weigel (1650).
It is only a partial sequence where (*) shows the year of Ph.D.
Erdos number: 3
Service to academic community and other professional activities (most of them)
- Distinguish professorship under the Euro grant: Human Capital, 2011/12
- Computer reviews, reviewer (on going)
- MSc in Computational Scinces Program Coordinator, 2011-12
- Chairman of PhD Defense Panel, Laurentian University, 2012.
- External examiner for PhD at McMaster University, Hmailton, Ontario Canada, 2011
- Program Committee, Member, International Conference on Knowledge Generation, Communication and Management, KGCM 2008
- Program Committee, Member,International Conference on Knowledge Generation, Communication and Management, KGCM 2007
- Reviewer,Joint Rough Set Symposium, 2007
- Member of the Peer Review Panel for the Early Researcher Award (ERA) program, Ministry of Research and Innovation, Ontario, 2006
- Program Committee, Member, The Symposium on Artificial Intelligence and Applications, AIA’06, Poland, 2006
- Program Committee, Member, The International Conference on Artificial Intelligence, ICAI'06
- Program Committee, Member, The International Conference on Data Mining, DMIN'06
- Program Committee, Member, The 2006 International Conference on Information and Knowledge Engineering (IKE'06)
- Program Committee, Member, The 2006 International Conference on Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (BIOCOMP'06), June 26-29, 2006, Las Vegas, USA
- NSERC (Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada) grant application reviewer, 2003, 2005.
- External Examiner of Ph.D. thesis, Trent University, 2002.
- External Examiner of Ph.D. thesis, University of La Trobe, Australia, 2000.
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, 1991-1998.
- Program Committee, Member, CIKM'97, Sixth International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, 1997, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
Chairperson Selection Committee, Chair, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, Laurentian University, 1998.
- Senate Member, Laurentian University since 1996-99.
- Technical Committee, Member, 5th ACM Workshop on Geographic Information Systems, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, November 13-14, 1997.
- Program Committee, Member, Fifth International Workshop on Rough Set Theory and Soft Computing, RSSC'97, North Caroline, USA, 1997.
- External Examiner of Ph.D. thesis, Queensland University of Technology, Australia, 1997.
- Steering Committee, Chair, International Conference on Computing and Information, ICCI'96, Waterloo University, 1996.
- External Examiner of Ph.D. thesis, The University of Queensland, Australia, 1995.
- Program Committee, Member, Third International Workshop on Rough Set Theory and Knowledge Discovery, RSKD'94, San Jose, California, USA, 1994.
- Program Committee, Member, International Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, SEKE'94, Jurmala, Latvia, 1994.
- Program Committee, Member, International Conference on Expert Systems, Banff, Alberta, 1993.
- Program Committee, Member, Fifth International Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, (SEKE'93), San Francisco Bay, USA, 1993.
- External Examiner of Ph.D. thesis, Regina U., Saskatchewan, 1992.
- General Chair, International Conference on Computing and Information, ICCI'93, Laurentian University, Sudbury,
- Program Committee, Chair, International Conference on Computing and Information, ICCI'92, York U., Toronto.
- Software Engineer, Information System Division, Siemens, West Germany
PUBLICATIONS (some of them)
More recent (eagerly distributed for advancing your personal research)
Tamar Kakiashvili, Waldemar W. Koczkodaj, Marc Woodbury-Smith: Improving the medical scale predictability by the pairwise comparisons method: Evidence from a clinical data study. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine 105(3): 210-216, 2012.
Mohammed Alqarni, Yassen Arabi, Tamar Kakiashvili, Mohammed Khedr, Waldemar W. Koczkodaj, J. Leszek, Artur Przelaskowski, K. Rutkowski: Improving the predictiveness of ICU medical scales by the method of pairwise comparisons. FedCSIS 2011: 11-17, 2011.
S�ndor Boz�ki, J�ndor F�l�p, Waldemar W. Koczkodaj: An LP-based inconsistency monitoring of pairwise comparison matrices. Mathematical and Computer Modelling 54(1-2): 789-793, 2011.
Bozoki, S; Fulop, J; Koczkodaj, WW, An LP-based inconsistency monitoring of pairwise comparison matrices, MATHEMATICAL AND COMPUTER MODELLING Volume: 54 Issue: 1-2 Pages: 789-793, 2011
Waldemar W. Koczkodaj, Vova Babiy, Agnieszka D. Bogobowicz, Ryszard Janicki, Alan Wassyng: Selecting the best strategy in a software certification process. IMCSIT 2010: 53-58, 2010.
Koczkodaj, W.W., Przelaskowski, A, Szopinski, KT, Medical Knowledge Mining from Image Data -- Synthesis of Medical Image Assessments for Early Stroke Detection, Machine Graphics & Vision, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 283-298, 2010.
Jándor Fülöp, Waldemar W. Koczkodaj, S. J. Szarek: A Different Perspective on a Scale for Pairwise Comparisons. T. Computational Collective Intelligence 1: 71-84 (2010)
Koczkodaj W. W.; Szarek S. J., On distance-based inconsistency reduction algorithms for pairwise comparisons
LOGIC JOURNAL OF THE IGPL Volume: 18 Issue: 6 Pages: 859-869 DOI: 10.1093/jigpal/jzp062, 2010
Koczkodaj WW., No sex difference in area estimation. Percept Mot Skills. 2009 Aug;109(1):168.
Adamic P, Babiy V, Janicki R, Kakiashvili T, Koczkodaj WW, Tadeusiewicz R., Pairwise comparisons and visual perceptions of equal area polygons. Percept Mot Skills. 2009 Feb;108(1):37-42.
Volodymyr Babiy, Ryszard Janicki, Tiffany Jingco, Tamar Kakiashvili, Waldemar W. Koczkodaj, Marc Woodbury-Smith: Benefits of Using Tabular Expressions in Planning Health Services. Software Engineering Research and Practice 2009: 99-102, 2009.
Tamar Kakiashvili, Waldemar W. Koczkodaj, Phyllis Montgomery, Kalpdrum Passi, Ryszard Tadeusiewicz: Assessing the properties of the World Health Organization's Quality of Life Index. IMCSIT 2008: 151-154, 2008.
Ratvinder Singh Grewal, Ryszard Janicki, Tamar Kakiashvili, K. Kielan, Waldemar W. Koczkodaj, Kalpdrum Passi, Ryszard Tadeusiewicz: Attacking the Web Cancer with the Automatic Understanding Approach. AWIC 2007: 136-141
Most quoted contributions:
Koczkodaj, W.W., A new definition of consistency of pairwise comparisons, Mathematical and computer modeling 18(7), p.79-84, Elsevier Science, 1993.
Duszak, Z., Koczkodaj, W.W., Generalization of a new definition of consistency for pairwise comparisons. Information Processing Letters, 52(5),p.273-276, 1994.
Koczkodaj, W.W., Orlowski, M., Marek, V.W., Myths about Rough Set Theory, Communication of the ACM, 41(11), 1998.
Koczkodaj, W.W., Testing the Accuracy Enhancement of Pairwise Comparisons by a Monte Carlo Experiment, Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, 69(1), pp. 21-32, 1998.
Herman, M.W., Koczkodaj, W.W.,A Monte Carlo study of pairwise comparison, Information Processing Letters, 57(1), pp. 25-29,1996.
Koczkodaj, W.W., Herman, M.W., Orlowski, Using Consistency-driven Pairwise Comparisons in Knowledge-based Systems, Proceedings of the Sixth international conference on Information and knowledge management,Las Vegas, Nevada, United States, p.91-96, 1997.
Koczkodaj, W.W., Herman, M.W., Orlowski,Managing Null Entries in Pairwise Comparisons, Knowledge and Information Systems, 1(1), pp. 119-125, 1999.
Koczkodaj, W.W., Herman, M.W., APL2 implementation of a new definition of consistency of pairwise comparisons, ACM SIGAPL APL Quote Quad, 24(4) pp. 37-40, 1994.
Janicki, R., Koczkodaj, W.W., A Weak Order Solution to a Group Ranking and Consistency-driven Pairwise Comparisons, Applied Mathematics with Computation, 94(2/3), p.227-236, 1998.
Janicki, R., Koczkodaj, W.W., A Weak Order Approach to Group Ranking, Computers and Mathematics with Applications, 32(2), pp. 51-59, 1996.
Koczkodaj, W.W., Orlowski, M., Wallenius, L., Wilson, R.M., A Note on Using Consistency-Driven Approach to CD-ROM Selection, Library Software Review, 16(1), pp. 4- 11, 1997.
Koczkodaj, W.W., Mackasey, W.O., Mineral Potential Assessment by the Consistency-driven Pairwise Comparisons Method, EMG, 6(1), pp. 23-33 1997.
Koczkodaj, W.W., Statistically Accurate Evidence of Improved Error Rate by Pairwise Comparisons, Perceptual and Motor Skills, 82, p.43-48, 1996.
Travel experience (in the alphabetical order, 31 countries on three continents)
Europe: Austria, Belorussia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Finland, Georgia, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Holland, Hungary, Italy, Norway, Poland, Russia, Serbia, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine;
America: Canada (eight provinces), USA (most states);
Asia: Armenia, Georgia, Iraq, Japan, Kuwait, Turkey.